View Single Post
Old 30th June 2017, 06:25 PM   #8
David
Keris forum moderator

Thanks for the better photos Shayde.
The pendok (metal part of the sheath) is even nicer than first appeared with these detail shots.
I remain pretty well convinced that your naga was carved well after this keris was forged. Whether that was still some time ago (pre-WWII) or later could probably still be a matter of debate, but i'm pretty sure this blade was not born to be a naga keris.
I will leave most questions of "facelifts" to others like Alan who have perhaps handled more renovation work than i have, however, if this were mine i would slide the pendok off and carefully clean and oil the wood. I might try to see if it is possible to carefully bend that pendok together a bit more at the top so that it fits more tightly to the wooded ridge on the sheath stem's center, though it may never fit quite right. I would certainly take a polishing cloth to the metal to brighten it up and maybe attempt to clean up the mendak (hilt ring) a bit. Keep in mind that keris dress is meant as an outward display during public wearing. Leaving tarnished metal parts would not be the way this keris would be maintained within the society.
David is offline   Reply With Quote