View Single Post
Old 29th June 2017, 04:49 PM   #1
shayde78

Default Assistance for a keris novice

Hi all!
I'm new to learning about keris, although the form has intrigued me since I was a child. I only have one such piece in my 'collection' (if so few items can be called a collection). I am hoping some of the expertise of this forum can help me gain a more informed appreciation. I have attached pictures below. I have seen examples of very poorly executed naga that seem very superficially etched on the blade. For this piece, it seems the serpent was chiseled into the metal in a much more substantial way. Also, the edge is very thin, worn, and nicked. I'm wondering if this suggests age as I believe the acid etching done regularly can wear away the thinner parts of the metal. The hilt (forgive my use of generic terms) doesn't seem to have much age to it. The scabbard appears to be of a single piece of wood (rather than the collar being separate from the main shaft. Is this something more modern tools allow for, or does this suggest an older item.

Again, I know there are very specific words applied to each of these features, but at the risk of misusing them, and causing more confusion, I am relying on the more general terms. No disrespect intended.

Thank you to anyone who is able to provide information as to the form/style, country of origin, approximate date, etc. I am thrilled to have finally 'married' one, and will be equally happy if this was manufactured last week, or last century. I would just like to learn more.

Thanks!
Attached Images

shayde78 is offline   Reply With Quote