View Single Post
Old 29th July 2009, 05:42 PM   #5
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Gene, thank you! I agree, definitely gearing up nicely, and I hope we get some input on these inlays. Its been a while since we discussed these ring pommel Chinese dadao, and I'd really like to get some more detailed review on them.

Jos, thank you for the closeups, and the positioning of these at either end of channels recalls similar use of gold metal filled discs seen on certain sword blades in Transcaucasian regions (Black Sea knives/ Laz bichagi) and I believe on Central Asian as well. I believe it may possibly be a Persian affectation but cannot recall offhand. Also, it seems that copper or gold colored inlay is something often found on blades, actually from very early times. On Chinese swords, the first thing that comes to mind is the celestially arranged copper dots in 'seven stars' arrangement for the constellation.
Obviously these inlays do not correspond to that symbolism, but just mentioned to note the general practice.
Hopefully others might recognize the 'star shape' inlay and have seen other blades with these filled inlays between fullers or channels.

Interesting knife of Ngbandi, do you have more details" Are those dots at blade center as well? Could you note the details on the book you have mentioned also. I always appreciate knowing details of references cited so that we might seek that reference for our own libraries and its always good to have that information for rechecking.

All best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is online now   Reply With Quote