View Single Post
Old 23rd November 2018, 02:42 PM   #13
Lee
EAAF Staff

Red face Guilty Pleasure (formerly)

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
Should we really expect historical accuracy from Forged by Fire?
Not at all.

I watched FiF loyally for several seasons, though I privately called it the 'Bladesmiths' Sadomasochism Hour' to my closest acquaintances. I would regularly wonder from where they picked up the unfamiliar (to me) names for the various ethnographic items the contestants were to make - until I found an old Atlanta Cutlery catalog in a disused magazine rack. Finally, there was an episode where I so strongly disagreed with the judges' choice and treatment of the losers that I ceased watching.

The Discovery Channel has just launched its own version called Master of Arms and at least I do not have to endure the order to 'surrender your weapon" commanded to the losers - they are a bit more diplomatic. The expertise is more oriented towards firearms, but I am not sure that the recent episode where the challenge was to make a US Civil War style bayonet and then to construct a octagonal barreled Pennsylvania-Kentucky style rifle and removably attach said bayonet is a promising portend of what is to come.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote