View Single Post
Old 9th June 2012, 08:28 PM   #6
Paul

Thank you gentlemen for your very informative replies.

I think David may have solved the riddle of the brazed joint -if it is brazed. I could not easily see how anyone capable of making the lance would need to braze a joint. I thought maybe it was a "cut and shut" of two broken lances but actually it feels like it all originated as a whole, diameters match and the join is at the exact balance point of the lance. Reducing length for shipping is the best answer I can see.

It is very heartening to think that the value may not be unduely spoilt by the join. Thanks.

I am wondering about trying to replace the leather hand grip as this would cover the join. Any thoughts on what sort of leather to use? I expect it will not be anything I have to hand, so it may wait until something out of the ordinary turns up but it would be good to know what sort of hide it should be. Would it be held on with an iron binding?

Regarding cleaning, I might post a spear that I cleaned one side of a bit less than I really liked. Then I went and cleaned the other side a bit more than perhaps I really should have -not much rust left and quite a bit of shine. I ended up not sure whether to clean the first side to match it or not. It would be interesting to know what people thought.

Many thanks,

Paul
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote