View Single Post
Old 15th May 2014, 04:38 PM   #20
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

So to be clear~ The two regions I have compared are Muscat and the Asir which was in Yemen prior to about 1920. The link appears to be from trade as the regions main port at Jazzan has dominated Red Sea trade for centuries and is on the Muscat to Zanzibar sea route.

In terms of references Ruth Hawley produced a brilliant but small pamphlet which for decades was all we had here to go by...The Richardson and Dorr, however, is a magnificent heavily backed and funded Cultural Foundation masterwork of colosal proportions, by comparison. Ruth correctly addresses in broad terms the parameters possible on certain patterns and objects spanning a huge area. The terms of reference in respect of time periods are understandably very, very broad. Both references are in my view perfectly balanced in their own right..

I have no idea about the Elgood nor have I got access to the Saudia document. Further more; any reference to a third region with similar weapons should be investigated but until that is separately assessed until those facts are known thus until then it is suggested that the Al Hasa material be looked at and logged but for now that part of the equation (if there is one) may be pencilled in the margin.

What seems clear is the regional hub effect of the great sea port of Jazzan and the fact that Oman controlled Zanzibar/neighboring parts of coastal Africa thus the sea route included trade from Muscat and Zanzibar through Jazzan for materials and likely slaves, Ivory, Rhino Horn, materials and provisions etc.

The Muscat Khanjar, therefor, is perhaps not a surprising element in the weaponry of such a hand in hand partner in trade.....but a very interesting conundrum.

See #143 at The Omani Khanjar thread for confirmation of this detail.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote