View Single Post
Old 23rd October 2016, 12:54 PM   #5
Johan van Zyl

Location: I live in Gordon's Bay, a village in the Western Cape Province in South Africa.

Kai, David & Alan, I am indebted to you for your willingness to share your understanding with me on these points. I had been a little bit afraid some forumites might think my questions were a poorly disguised request for a monetary evaluation - which it definitively was not. Happily, no-one thought that.

Your well-reasoned comments are as much as I expected - it would have been very naive of me to have expected that someone be prepared to declare the Java keris come from the first third of the nineteenth century, and the Bugis from dead centre! However, I must then conclude that "nineteenth century" is as close as I should go for both.

On all your other comments I can only say they make a lot of sense to me. I am a collector/historian/writer, but hasten to say this is all "hobby". I have never done these things full-time. I collect things that are old and interesting, study the history behind them, and write up what I find. Examples: a Roman sestertius, a Fairbairn-Sykes commando knife, a Nepalese villager kukri with a box-sheath, a Voortrekker flintlock musket, a uniform of the WW II British Long Range Desert Group, a fossil shell from the Cretaceous period, a WW I service medal awarded to a SA Cape Coloured Corps soldier, a Mills bomb and 3" mortar grenade (deactivated), a novel printed in 1734 by Madam de Gomez, and an 1872 handwritten copy of the book of Job in metrical paraphrase by John Brigg. VIVA LA DIFFERENCE you will say! I have quite a few more.

You see, the two kerisses have given me much to study, and your help has been incaculable.

Still I am confused as to the names used in describing the keris sheath. The T-shaped piece is called the warangka, the wooden centrepiece is called the gandar, the metal oversheath is called the pendok, the end-piece is called the buntut (depending on the type of keris and where applicable). Other Indonesian languages give different names.

BUT, is there a name/word for the WHOLE sheath (all sheath parts viewed together)?
Cheers
Johan
Johan van Zyl is offline   Reply With Quote