View Single Post
Old 22nd October 2016, 10:44 PM   #3
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai
I'd suggest you are trying to compare apples to oranges here: Both were done in different cultures with different aesthetics - thus, they are bound to look different even if they happened to be born on the same day.
Well, Kai gave some really good answers to you inquiries, but i will just double down on his first response since it was exactly what immediately went through my mind as i read your post...Apples & Oranges.
While you may get to hear a vast array of presences from collector here (and the difference of preferences will indeed be vast) on what they like to collect and why in the end i can't see how any of their answers should necessarily have any effect on your own. Please understand though, that Indonesia is actually made of of a number of independent cultures. There can be great differences in these various keris bearing cultures in the shape and form and actual significance of the blade and dress forms. Some collectors choose to specialize while for other it is viva la difference. It would be useless for me to suggest that one of these two keris is better or worse or has more or less cultural import than the other.
David is offline   Reply With Quote