View Single Post
Old 25th April 2007, 08:24 PM   #15
spiral

The 19th century English kukris Ive seen were made for private purchase by officers, whether Gurkha or other units, not issued to the enlisted man.{& wealthy colonial & Mararajah types of course.}

In early WW1 kukris were made in Sheffield {usualy inspected at Enfield though.} for the inlisted man, but at that time it would have been quicker to resupply Gurkhas in Belgium & France & possibly the Balkans, Egypt & Palastine from England than it would be from India. I doubt if many Katar were used by British army at this time?

I dont rule out any 19th century batches of kukri made for a particular inlisted men in Gurkha units but have never seen or heard of such items amongst the kukri collecters I know. Has anyone any evidence of any?

Sheffield firms including both Rodgers & Beal in particular exploited the Colonial markets in the 19th cenutry but they were all quite fancy items from what I have seen..

I understand from a reliable source there is an Ivory handled Kris at cutlers hall in Sheffield made by Joseph Beal but I havent seen it.

If katars were made in England cutlers hall would probably know if they were made in Sheffield. I have never heard of such an item. {not that that means much.}

Spiral
spiral is offline   Reply With Quote