View Single Post
Old 18th October 2018, 11:52 PM   #12
Green

David;

Absolutely true that English is not my native /first language ,although i sometimes imagine that mine is almost as good as Nabokov's (just joking!)...I did mean exactly what I asked... "what" is patompo because i thought it might mean something other than a person's name. I should probably be more precise and rephrased it as "who or what is patompo" etc.

Many thanks for that link and your explanation. That thesis looks very interesting. I hope it is ok for me to download and make it into a hardcopy.

Alan;

Also; many thanks for your excellent response as usual. The explanation on the name is also very fascinating. Was he (Patompo the rich Bugis living in Singapore in the early 20th century) the same as the Walikota mentioned by David, do you think?

A question that is still not answered is , is this keris a gift to this gentleman Haji Daeng Muhammad Patompo (walikota?) or one originally belonged to him.

My feeling is, since he seemed to be a very wealthy person (as Alan pointed) and an important man (Walikota) as David indicated, it most likely be a gift as the keris is nothing very special or ornate enough for a person of his stature.

It would be good if someone would suggest what kind of likely situation this kind of gifts was given, as I'm completely ignorant on Sulawesi Bugis culture.

I guess I can ask the seller but I don't think I can get much info and furthermore I value opinions of the keris lovers/experts in this forum.
Green is offline   Reply With Quote