View Single Post
Old 15th March 2019, 07:57 PM   #29
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

"Murky waters'! Mark, a perfect simile for trying to better understand these maritime mystery swords.
The article Jasper posted is actually quite brilliant, one of the best I have seen addressing swords and weapons in pirate and maritime use in these 17th-18th periods.

While trying not to deviate too much from the silver hilt topic. ...it is always hard not to consider the overall context of what types of swords were likely preferred and why in varying circumstances in those times.

I would imagine that silver hilt hangers would have been more likely for naval officers and probably those of merchant ships. In these cases it was more for status and appearances in situations calling for ceremonial protocols. I do not think they would have been for everyday wear.

In the context of piracy, such affluent swords would have of course been a prize, and in some degree paraded about as a trophy, but not have been taken as a serious weapon.

Looking back at this great article on Buccaneer arms, and concerning the 'shell' type cutlasses. These are of course the well known 'dusagge' type swords (often later termed 'Sinclair sabres') which evolved in Slovakian and North Europe regions from later 16th c.through the 17th. These typically had sheet steel shell guards, though many versions had the developed guard systems as with rapiers as well as some with plates (believed the forerunner of basket hilts).

I believe these ended up as seagoing weapons through the typical ports in the Low Countries with extensive trade activity, and with thier short, hefty and notable hand protection, served well for the crowded, melee type action on vessels.

The cliche' term 'cutlass' for a short, heavy heft sword appears to have filtered from Italian 'coutelazo' for a large knife of 16th c. into French 'coutelas' for a machete like sword. While typically regarded in nautical parlance, it seems used more broadly in many cases.

I know I have digressed here, but these seagoing topics are addicting!
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote