View Single Post
Old 18th February 2005, 06:56 PM   #1
RSWORD

Default Very Interesting Indian sword for discussion

This is a very interesting Indian sword that I would love to get more feedback. The hilt is unlike any other Indian sword and has some interesting features to it. First is the swell in the grip. This seems very much like a Persian influence. The spatulate endings to the guard are interesting and seem common to Mughal period swords. The most interesting feature is the pommel on this sword. It is rather abstract but it seems to be "Tiger'esque". Also, the terminal ending to the knucklebow is an interesting "duckbill". I note two similar "duckbills" pictured in Elgoods new book on a cloth helmet owned by Tipu. Look at the top of the nasal protector and you have two of the exact same "duckbills" curved back down the slide. I have not seen this particular decor before so I have no pretensions that the "duckbill" is an exclusive decoration to Tipu related items nor do I have any pretenses that my sword has any association with Tipu however there are some interesting features worth discussion. Also, it has a big pattern welded kilij style blade with one of the boldest patterns I have ever seen. So, has anyone ran across similar hilts before? Look forward to the discussion.
Attached Images

RSWORD is offline   Reply With Quote