View Single Post
Old 10th August 2012, 03:40 PM   #46
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom
Good day
as I didn't acquired my English, from an academic school,
and as far as it's a very technical idiom used to describe edged weapons,
the translation is a real chore ("pensum") also, I took the precaution to add the French version
sorry if it's a little bit "rigmarole", I'm doing my best, but sometime even the best it's not enough ...
I will present one per day ... thanks for your understanding

979 - DAGGER OF ARAB MUSCAT (Djambyia) eighteenth century (Pl. XXX)

Same blade, rather piqued by rust.
horn handle, flourishing toward the blade and forming its hilt in the style of fifteenth-century Swiss daggers. The guard is surrounded by a silver ferrule which covers the heel of the blade and fits over the chape. This ferrule is decorated with filigree and the outside of the horn of the handle is topped with a tight sowing of silver nails.
Wood scabbard covered with black cloth decorated with trimmings of silver (both pretty tired). small silver locket, and silver chape more developed, and decorated with filigree work similar to the ferrule of the handle. This scabbard still bears the four silver rings which serve to secure it the belt and a part of the belt with its silver buckle.
The scabbard for this type of Djambyia, instead of following the curve of the blade like its predecessors, is bent at right angles
Complete weapon, tired, but interesting nonetheless because of the scarcity of Arab weapons
Long. : 0.315 - Blade: 0.205

979 - POIGNARD ARABE DE MASCATE (Djambyia) XVIIIè siècle (Pl. XXX)

Même lame, assez piquée par la rouille.
Poignée en corne s’épanouissant vers la lame et formant son pommeau dans le genre des dagues suisses du XVè siècle. La garde est entourée d’une virole en argent qui recouvre le talon de la lame et s’emboîte sur la chape du fourreau. Cette virole est décorée de filigranes et la face extérieure de la corne de la poignée est garnie d’un semis serré de clous d’argent.
Fourreau en bois revêtu de drap noir décoré de passementeries d’argent (les deux assez fatigués). Courte bouterolle en argent uni et chape plus développe en argent et décorée d’un travail de filigrane semblable à celui de la virole de la poignée. Ce fourreau porte encore les quatre anneaux d’argent qui servent à l’assujettir à la ceinture et une partie de la ceinture avec sa boucle en argent.
Le fourreau de type Djambyia, au lieu de suivre la courbe de la lame comme les précédentes, se courbe à angle droit
Arme complète, fatiguée, mais intéressante néanmoins en raison de la rareté des armes arabes
Long. : 0,315 – Lame : 0,205

à +

Dom
Salaams Dom ~ Thank you for presenting Buttins work in such excellent English and for taking the time and trouble to translate and post. I hope this gets easier as you proceed ~ Buttin had few examples of Omani and Arab work to display going by his last sentence Quote "en raison de la rareté des armes arabes" Unquote and I wonder if this weapon is actually Omani or Yemeni (Habaabi).

I think we will give Buttin the benefit of the doubt in this case! However, it appears too narrow in the body to be Omani... but I rest my case at this time on this item as it may be because of the photo quality in the original document..

It is absolutely excellent to have your translation and I thank you for adding this vital research to Forum.

Salaams,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 10th August 2012 at 04:04 PM.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote