View Single Post
Old 9th August 2012, 03:07 PM   #43
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom
on the same subject, the khanjars
it is difficult to determine, what is the existing weapons,
before the reconquest of the country by Abdelaziz Al Saud, and those produced after ...
here, we are fortunate to have a photo of daggers collected at the end of last century ... so, before this pivotal period

from a book "Le catalogue de la collection d'armes anciennes, européennes et orientales" - Charles Buttin (in French)
book published in 1933, after the death of the collector, who began his collection before 1900
This is a rare book, and which consists of 284 pages and 32 sheets (annex) with ± 40 edged weapons in each photo,

the quality of my scan is average, but if I increase the size ... more, I'll get a blurry picture as a result.
the khanjars in display, are without doubt from the 19th century, if you want a fork of dates; let said going from 1850 to 1900
I let you appreciate, my friends, I did not resist sharing it with you

à +

Dom

ps/ the collector, and the book itself, are really references in the matter
References;
A. Kattara for comments. from #300 http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=10455

B. The Omani Khanjar. http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=14878

Salaams Dom,
Thank you for posting this detail. I know the author is well respected. May we have the full package of information to go with the pictures so we can put it into perspective please?
It will be seen that it is easy to confuse Habaabi daggers with Omani. Both styles of Habaabi have the 7 rings and one is fatter whilst the other is quite slender in the body.They look like Omani Khanjars.

The crown, however, tends to be slightly larger than the Omani. Typically the hilt has two facing large buttons with the pointed decoration often hidden under a central ferrule in mid hilt. The decorative style of the triangular net holding the lower scabbard steady on the belt is different in both styles.

This weapon is discussed at The Omani Khanjar in some detail with photos. My hypothesis on this almost identical design is that the Habaabi design was taken from the circa 1840 Royal Khanjar style designed by The Persian princess and wife of Said bin Sultan who reigned 1804 to his death off Zanzibar in 1856. Sheherazad was her name.

It is clear that no other Yemeni design exists with such strong similarity to an Omani Dagger (the area was Yemeni before circa 1920) and Scabbard and I quote the sea trade link and the proximity to Zanzibar and Muscat (and naturally the sea trade route between) as the main reason for the transmission of style..

I repeat that the two are easily confused.

Posting Butin would be a great asset to our library. Thank you Dom.

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 9th August 2012 at 03:44 PM.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote