View Single Post
Old 3rd December 2006, 05:30 AM   #23
The Double D

I just don't believe these rifle barrel was mandrel formed, I wasn't there when they were made it so can't be sure. Could have been but I just have my doubts. What makes me think these barrel was not formed on mandrel is the inner rifling appears to have a twist to it. It would be very difficult to hand forge a barrel with straight outer flats on a twisted mandrel. Can be done but difficult.

More likely they were bored on a lathe then the flats of the rifling were scraped in. I don't want call them lands because they aren't lands in the modern sense. After the flats were scraped in the grooves we scraped in. It would be relatively simple to give bore twist when scraping in.

After the bore was made then the flats were draw filed in on the barrel. Swamping is draw filing the center section to a small diameter than either end, or in this case at least the back of the barrel smaller than the front.

These two rifles barrels appear to have been made by two different people. Fernando's barrel grooves are a different shape than Wards. This might be from erosion/corrosion from shooting. Fernando's gun appears to have been used quite a bit, Wards very little. I can only wonder what they drove down Fernando's bore to shoot. What ever it was, it looks like they used a rock to drive it! They beat the devil out of the muzzle!!

By the way you both need to run a rod down the bore and make sure they are not still loaded. The rod should reach all the way down to where the nipple is. Both bores could also do with a good cleaning and oiling. They look dry but dusty, a trap for moisture.

Have you shot them?
The Double D is offline   Reply With Quote