View Single Post
Old 18th July 2010, 01:52 AM   #16
kai

Hello Maurice,

Quote:
However the two holes in the crosspiece are much older, considering the patination and dirt which is in it...
I wouldn't place much emphasis on dirt/etc. which can accumulate a highly different rates. Is there any evidence for wear of the wood at those holes in the crosspiece though?

Quote:
However I guess it would be to heavy/large for a boy's ceremonial kris?
IMO this was not used as ceremonial kris, concerning the patina, wear and damages all over the piece...
The kris is almost 65 cm long. The blade only is 47 cm long.
The blade length is within the range of Sulu pieces but certainly an exception with non-archaic blades; OTOH the blade is very broad, especially for a Sulu piece, but isn't shortened later either. This makes me think that the blade has been intentionally "shortened" during the forging to make it fit a somewhat smaller person (boy not kid).

A ceremonial usage like exhibiting the status of a datu's son during formal events wouldn't preclude training and everyday carry, too. However, the copper band on the hilt doesn't support my assumption that this is clearly a datu-level piece; considering the wood quality, this must have been a fairly wealthy family though...

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote