View Single Post
Old 24th June 2020, 07:42 AM   #11
cornelistromp

The hilt is that of an Italian storta, probably Venice from around 1580.
The wide blade reminds me of a beautiful short riding sword that I once had in my collection. still don't really know why I sold it.
this blade originally came from an Oakeshott Type XVIIIC from the first quarter of the 16th century. this type was known only from Alexandria arsenal swords and was unknown outside this group.
It had similar Italian p/cross marks but was cut down in length.
The geometry is exceptionally suitable for cutting strokes. the blade is flat diamond shaped but has a very low medial ridge, creating a wedge shape. so mass through the width, rigidity through the ridge creates the perfect slashing weapon.
Clive Thomas has written beautiful publications about this type XVIIIC of swords, I have had interesting discussions with him about this very efficient geometry.
So your blade may have been reused from a damaged medieval sword or it may have been developed in the 16th century, in any case it is a very interesting storta.

attached riding sword and the famous type XVIIIC Harriet Dean sword, sold for the absolute record of GBP386.500 !!!! @ Christies

best,
Jasper
Attached Images

Last edited by cornelistromp; 25th June 2020 at 06:40 AM.
cornelistromp is offline   Reply With Quote