View Single Post
Old 17th September 2007, 08:28 PM   #19
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

OK I'll have a go at it !
First of all, there is clearly a predominance of solar symbolism in the inside of the pommel dish. There is of course varying symbolism in India using this particular solar representation, and in the major Rajput lineages there are three basic lines; 1.) Suryavanshi...decended from the Hindu sun god Surya
2.) Chandravanshi..descent from Chandra, Hindu moon god.
3.) Agnivanshi...descent from Hindu god of fire.
* one of the pommel dish motifs seemed to suggest flames

The excellent examples of knuckleguarded talwars shown by Galvano and Dom both have the grip with central peaked shape, which I believe suggest Rajasthan with most examples of 19th century, though some references have indicated some earlier. The standard flueret shape langet on Galvanos seems less common on these as it seems the examples I have seen typically have the squared terminus langet as seen on Dom's. Interestingly the peaked grip and squared langet seem to usually be attributed to Udaipur (in Rajasthan).

Galvano, can you show a closeup of the brass disc on the chowk on yours?

The interesting pierced disc on the example shown by Course Eight, and the same piercing on the beautifully decorated example of Tabarzin, reminds me very much of such piercings in some regulation military swords such as the famed heavy cavalry 'disc hilt' sword of 1796 British and earlier Austrian patterns. The same effect was used later in variation on many regulation hilts. Presumably, as with fullering on blades, the intent was the lighten the sword. The suggestion of the lotus pod suggested here applied in Indian motif seems quite plausible, but would seem out of context in the decorated example of Tabarzin.

These are my thoughts and observations so far on these and I would welcome hearing those of others.

All best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote