View Single Post
Old 15th September 2007, 09:38 PM   #16
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi Bill,
I acquired this book a number of years ago and I believe was acquiring it from the author, Parmjidt Singh, who was actually the co-author. I do not have the book at hand and cannot recall the other author. It is a great book that is primarily lots of great illustrations, those I believe included (at least they do look very familiar). I think trying the British Amazon might help as it was published in London.

Thanks very much everyone for the great responses and sharing more examples. Hopefully we can get some groupings and consistancies going. I am hoping that someone with Pant could post the several variations he has assigned so that we might use these as a benchmark. Although the terminology may or may not be accurately applied, it is the only attempt to standardize Indian tulwars hilts typologically and does serve well in that regard.

I am still unclear on the pommel dish size, and it seems that it has been suggested that larger forms are essentially later, c 19th c. Are we comfortable with that assertion or would the size be more likely to suggest a regional preference?

I am still intrigued by the comment made by Ariel on the other tulwar thread noting that quillons with slightly downward slope on tulwars suggest an earlier example. It seems that that view, while apparantly held by some, may be from a resource we are unable to locate. Can anyone shed any light on this feature?

Best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote