View Single Post
Old 4th February 2015, 11:23 PM   #24
estcrh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubur
Woaw it is a hard question.
To be honest I should say nothing.
BUT for me, Turkish is a population from Central Asia.
After the collapse of Ottoman Empire, Ataturk started the process of Turkification and laid the bases of Modern Turkey.
To my own and personnal knowledge, these pistols were produced in the Balkans for the Ottomans. But they are not Turks.
The Ottomans also used Caucasian pistols...
May be I'm wrong... You decide.
Kuber, thanks for your reply, and I appreciate your thoughts. In my opinion I have yet to see any distinct evidence that the basic pistol such as the one Cerjak has posted is anything other than an Ottoman pistol. "Ottoman" to me means more than a period of time, it was an empire composed of many different cultures, countries and regions.

When I see weapons and or armor that originated in the Ottoman empire and there is no distinct sign of it being made or used by any particular region, country etc I call the item "Ottoman", such as an Ottoman kilij, on the other hand when an item is known to have come from a distinct region/country that was part of the Ottoman empire I use that region/country in the discription (Ottoman Empire Albanian "Rat Tail" Flint Pistol) or (Ottoman Empire Balkan yatagan).

This is just my opinion based what I have read and observed.
estcrh is offline   Reply With Quote