View Single Post
Old 14th December 2016, 11:52 PM   #4
iskender

Default patina of old bronce ?

gentlemen,should i bite on my tongue or burn my fingers ? a few years ago i found a old sword oakeshott typ XI with a horngrip and pommel, blade with black underwaterpatina in a good condition still flexible ! i have connections to a well-known historical museum, where i presented the objekt to the curator of arms. he told me it is to old for him to jugde it and left if over to the curators of the antique to give a opinion. a half a year later i got it back together with the statement that this was the best preserved sword from the 12 century they have ever seen. in the meantime i now now that it was made in tunis and never so old as they told me! the same i think is with your sword,certainly of age but in my opinion and looking at the way old bronce ages ,first to red or brown and similar colours then going in to a mix of/or green /blue/black, it think it will turn out that the grip is perhabs 19 century and is made in that what they called the "barbarei " in old times. will be interesting what the experts say! greetings and a good day to you all Iskender
iskender is offline   Reply With Quote