View Single Post
Old 18th September 2011, 01:56 AM   #49
harimauhk

Just wanted to add some input after spending time with Tausug and Yakan tribesmen in the Southern Philippines--culturally there are strong ties to Malaysia in so many ways. I now see the myriad of connections that influence all cultures throughout the Philippines after having spent so much time here this year.

Both the Tausugs and Yakan have terms for their fighting systems, and like many words in Bahasa Sug and Yakan, they are somewhat similar to words in Malay. The term for their fighting systems is something like silat, but I can't remember what it is now. Silat is NOT always low to the ground. If you look at Seni Gayong from Malaysia, or Minangkabau Sitarlak, both systems are relatively upright. There is a strong possibility Chinese fighting systems did influence the Bangsamoro, however. Chinese kung fu systems have affected Javanese systems. The Chinese, to this day, live among the Tausug and Yakan on Basilan and Sulu, and we have all seen barungs with Chinese characters on them.

I wish I could get a taste of the Tausug fighting systems, but traveling to Jolo or Patikul at this point in time is a really bad idea unless you have ransom money ready at home. I doubt they would even be willing to teach their systems to the Yakan, even though there is relative peace between the tribes now and members of both tribes work and live together in the Abu Sayyaf/MILF/MNLF and even intermarry.
harimauhk is offline   Reply With Quote