View Single Post
Old 7th May 2015, 08:37 PM   #5
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

This is distinctly an Edwardian era (1901-1910) cavalry sabre as indicated by the Royal cypher. These are discussed in Robson (1975, pp.75-77) and of the basic pattern used 1822-1912. There were however some subtle changes in the hilt.
What is notable in this example is that the crosshatched backstrap of the hilt extends full length. In the heavy cavalry undress pattern of 1887, the hatching breaks mid point with the top part smooth. The pommel in all is a crosshatched dome (the 1887 example has a capstan, this does not).

On p.75, Robson notes that in the Army order of June 1,1896, there was not actually a new sword (of this type) introduced for ALL cavalry officers (the distinction between heavy and light cavalry remained by regiment in degree but not as far as swords from 1853 onward).
Apparently the order simply introduced a NEW pattern for LIGHT cavalry officers....and the variations in this example lead me to believe this is one of these.

Hamburger, Rogers & Co. were quite high end outfitters who had been appointed officially to the Crown in about 1850s and while carrying swords they also provided high end dress uniforms and regalia. While Hamburger, the original owner died c.1850s, his partner Rogers maintained the highly established name well into the 20th century.

This is a beautiful, elegant cavalry sword of the colorful pageantry of the fin de siècle period, and may well have been to one of the Household troops.
I believe it would be accurately classified as a Light Cavalry Officers sword 1901-10. The brass plug proof device (as begun in general use by Wilkinson in 1850s) with Star of Solomon surround typically had an initial or symbol in the center denoting which outfitter may have made the blade, however regardless of the chart in Annis & May, I have often found these unreliable.
Jim McDougall is online now   Reply With Quote