View Single Post
Old 8th November 2015, 04:55 PM   #24
rickystl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pukka Bundook
Ian,

I think Chertbolt has an answer to where the barrels and locks were produced, but still believe these pistols were made and certainly engraved in the Near East.
They are very good for that area, but without wishing anyone to think I am finding fault with them, the finish and engraving is not up to even middling French standards.
I find it very difficult to believe that a French gunsmith could work down to this level of workmanship.
Please do not take this as a derogatory remark. I really Do believe that these are Good quality, better by far than average for that area of the world.
Hi Pukka.
Well, it's interesting what a few more photos can do to the decision making process. LOL. I must say that after viewing these additional photos, that I comepletely agree with your assessment. It does in fact appear that the lock and barrel were shipped from France/Europe for final assembly somewhere in the Balkans/Ottoman Empire. As you mention, the chisel work, engraving, quality of the iron mounts, and even the inletting is not up to European standards. But is typical of what you would see on these pistols if locally assembled. Great observations on your part.
However, yes, this pair of pistols are a really nice example of the locally made Kubur pistols utilizing a European lock and barrel.
It's great that Andreas was able to identify the barrels. Thiss has been a fun Thread.
Rick.
rickystl is offline   Reply With Quote