View Single Post
Old 20th May 2014, 08:03 PM   #41
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrahiim al Balooshi
I agree. I also believe there was a Portuguese fort on Mazira Island possibly protecting a mine of some sort. I am still at Barka on a project for 3 more weeks ..but I shall work my way around to the Al Hazm exhibition later...with camera.

Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Some authors beleive that Cristovão de Mendonça, who was Captain of the Ormuz fort as from 1523, would have built a fort in Mazirah. The ruins of this fort are situated near a (copper?) mine and it is thought that Cristovão de Mendonça was involved in its exploration.
Meanwhile, browsing the Web on these matters i have learnt that a person who is able to expand in this issue of possible traces of Portuguese presence in Oman is Professor Mohamed Said Nasser Al-Wahaibi, responsible for the Department of History of the Ministery of Culture and Patrimony of Oman. This eminent Cathedratic has been twice in Portugal, organizing Omani seminars and is acquainted with local scholars. He is said to have been impressed with the quantity of documentation he found in Lisbon National Archives.
fernando is online now   Reply With Quote