View Single Post
Old 16th January 2017, 03:08 AM   #19
Belizechopper

Default Bone grip espada ancha with forward quillions

The Cutlass style espada in the bottom of third photo is I believe a mid 19th century type more Caribbean than Mexican and some I have seen utilize Fedderson, Willink Co. blades while all use blades similar to US m1860. It is good to see another example of a bone grip with the forward quillions also. They are very unusual. Espada anchas are hard to date as parts were reused for years with newer hilts or blades. I believe the best dating can be accomplished by the blade type. The standard blacksmith made sash langet with flat blade and upturned foible commonly dated 1740 to 1780 possibly styled after Spanish Dragoon sabers ca. 1750 with straight forte and upturned foible but if so would move start date 10 years. The San Louis Potosi styles typically utilize the straighter shorter blades associated with early 19th. These are most facinating swords and can be grouped into very specific styles even if unique to them selves. The round tangs with finger loops seem to come up more in South American context than Mexico or Northern provinces.
Attached Images

Belizechopper is offline   Reply With Quote