View Single Post
Old 14th December 2023, 08:54 PM   #13
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey View Post
"Likely" is not really specific David, I am indicating a relatively high degree of probability.

But yeah, sure, its only a guess, & I'm guessing like that because firstly, the blade is a quality blade, whoever could pay for that blade would not have had much of a problem in paying for very low carat gold in the pendok.

Keris fittings were a way of storing wealth, and when cash was needed, the pendok & the mendak (in Jawa) were usually the first to go. This keris is not really all that old, everything is in good condition, I doubt that it lost its pendok because of damage.

But for a replacement pendok silver or copper would be suitable --- but polos, ie, plain, no motif.

Peter, you might find that finger pressure alone is sufficient to re-align that gonjo, and then just tighten the fit of gonjo to pesi (tang) with a nail punch.
Well actually Alan, you said that you "strongly suspect" that this had a suasa pendok.That you suspected not only that it had one, but that it was suasa and indeed without any motifs sounds pretty specific to me.
David is offline   Reply With Quote