View Single Post
Old 29th May 2015, 12:10 PM   #34
BANDOOK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrahiim al Balooshi
Salaams Bandook ~ This is indeed a stunning piece of artwork and I note even the TEE shaped gun tool (Eslabone) to the immediate right of the red ink circle...I was reading again the article about the British retreat from the Orchard where the entire organisation was badly mauled mainly by Afghan long guns which could outfire range wise the Brown Besses of the British.

The lock on your Gun is most certainly one of the Brown Bess locks and in reading about the history of that weapon I recall that many Besses went to India and a lot became so badly rotted away that the only thing to do was to strip a lot down for spares. The problem with your Gun is deciding when this may have been done as the woodwork looks good but new...and it is not beyond many workshops to rejig the trigger and lock using spares these days...The Afghan workshop can reproduce an almost entirely home made Martini Henry including the barrel and they have loads of spare parts from British Weapons procured from the British. In this regard I agree with the previous post by Mr Oliver Pinchot. In fact one workshop not 100 yards from here is continually making 303 or Martini or other old rifle Stocks and Butts... These chaps are Indian and Pakistani and they can just as easily make such curved Butts ..It is what they have done since they were children and Up The Khyber they are expert at it ...

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
CHEERS IBRAHIIM,CHEERS
BANDOOK is offline   Reply With Quote