View Single Post
Old 28th March 2010, 04:31 AM   #3
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

In looking at this jezail, it seems very much to be a 'Khyber gun', which is one of the native production imitations of various firearms produced in these regions, one of the best known being Darra Khel about 40km south of Peshawar. The lockplate shape does not seem to correspond to those of percussion cap weapons used by the British (I would defer to Ward's expertise on this of course), but the sharp rather than rounded back seems odd. The description of the lion of the East India Co. (post 1816 as noted) facing left and holding the sphere sounds correct, but the 'sans serif' numbers not correct for 19th century and indicative of more modern addition, certainly not 1817, which obviously would have been flintlock.
From what I understand, even arms used by EIC were government proved and would carry that mark on the lock.

Despite the fact that this seems to be one of the profusion of interpretations of earlier arms that were actually used in Khyber regions, and unclear of just how old it actually is, it would be interesting to learn more on its provenance as the circumstances of acquisition even as a souvenier can often be intriguing.

These were extremely historic guns, and the proficiency of the tribal warriors with them decidedly regarded by the British as noted by Kipling in the well known lines;
"...A scrimmage in a border station, a canter down some dark defile;
Two thousand pounds of education, drops to a ten rupee jezail."
from " Departmental Ditties and Barracks Room Ballads"

Thank you for sharing this gun with us here, and while it is good to see someone else as challenged by these new type cameras as I am , your eloquent descriptions are outstanding and concise.

All very best regards, and welcome to our forums !
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote