View Single Post
Old 21st September 2015, 07:15 PM   #9
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi Fernando,
Great entry!!and you are right, a serious a thorough approach to these kinds of specific studies is profoundly not for everyone....in fact, those who truly study the history and development of arms, particularly edged weapons, are relatively few. Most are content to simply follow the material in well known published references, and accept that as the final word without further question.

For example, it is a widely held assumption that many forms of weapons are of Rajput origin, and I can only imagine that to be from the considerable exposure to these warriors during the British period in India. The Rajputs as remarkable warriors had adopted many forms or weapons from other regions and sources, and honed them into examples well known today in collections.
As we have discussed, like the khanda (firangi), the katar may well have moved northward from the transverse grip daggers (as you note correctly termed jamadhar rather than 'katar') and evolved from them. I believe the expansion of Mahratta tribes may well account for these diffusions.

These multi purpose weapons such as pistol equipped katars are always remarkable examples, and I think were the work of innovative armourers always trying to impress their wealthy and noble patrons.

I think India is one of the most defiant cultural spheres when it comes to any sort of defined classification or typologies of its weapons, and while we can of course assemble certain rules of thumb or guidelines, it is with cautious reservation. It takes much more observation and study into nuances and decoration to reasonably classify most of these weapons, but it can indeed be done in some degree. Those with the tenacity to take on this challenge have my utmost respect.

Excellent note on how many weapons evolve through variation and innovation, and very true, many Indian weapons do seem to border on fantasy. I think case in point would be the 'madu', the double horns which became the 'haladie', or double bladed dagger. In this case, I believe this was indeed a weapon with Rajput origins.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote