View Single Post
Old 3rd December 2011, 03:29 PM   #7
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain
Thank you all for the kind comments.

Jim,

Interesting your acquaintance from Darfur was also using Arabic term 'saif'. While I have found differing, not Arabic terms in the regions languages, personally I think the influence of Arabic, particularly on the upper classes, cannot be overstated. For one thing, those who were literate would likely have achieved this via religious studies and would have had to learn or at least memorize large amounts of the Koran (In Arabic of course).

There were in fact relatively few European explorers who passed through these regions - Denham and Clapperton, Barth, Nachtigal... I am sure Burton was familiar with all of their writings. The real question for me, is how he arrived at labeling that particular sword type as a kaskara, as far as I can tell from reading all the accounts of Denham etc. none of them specifically associated the Sudanese saif with the term kaskara. Although I finally found the reference in Barth for tying the term to Bagirmi - it is as I expected a simple case of Kanuri influence in the region as he notes many Kanuri terms for arms and armour are find in the region and also used by the various pagan peoples.

This is why I lean heavily towards some British officer or soldier in the field having picked it up from a tribesman who joined the Mahdist forces and journeyed north to fight.

Michael,

I don't know much about Ethiopia, but I think most areas of ethnographic arms study can face this issue. Often I think modern peoples in these areas are perhaps not familiar with some of the terminology due to a lack of modern usage of the words?

Another issue can be that Ethiopia has a great many people and linguistic groups?

I find this area of study both fascinating and frustrating.

Ibrahiim,

Interesting that the term kattara seems newer. Is it an Arabic word in origin?

Jeff,

Thanks! I'd hoped it would be interesting to folks like you who've spent a lot more time delving into kaskara than I have.

Salaams Iain,
Kattara. It appears to be a word that came with a sword ... ie the single edged curved sword on a long Omani hilt...sometime in the last 200/300 years ! and any curved derivative including Shamshir. The Craft Herritage of Oman confirms this. It not being an Arabic word has certainly contributed to the confusion. It is noted that Kaskara has caused an equally frustrating search for how it got named made worse by the myriad of different dialects and languages in its operating area. It may never be fully explained

Regards
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote