View Single Post
Old 16th July 2009, 06:08 AM   #35
ganjawulung

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVV
I have also read Mulderīs book on Mysticism. Another of my favourites are Koentjaraningratīs Javanese Culture.
Enough with words and back to the function of this keris.
I suspect the clue is that earth spirits are afraid of iron and people are afraid of earth spirits.
So if you want to protect yourself against earth spirits itīs good to have a piece of iron on you or next to the object, like a rice-field, you want to protect...
Yes, it is an interesting book. And I think, it is a need too, to search more 'spiritual meaning' of keris world, not only from function. But also from "words"...

Searching "words" on mysticism, for instance. It will enrich your knowledge on keris. As Mulder said in his book ... "mysticism has occupied a place of pride in Javanese culture for a very long time..."

Event with the advent of Islam and its social organization, in Indonesia -- according to Niels Mulder -- mysticism in Java have changed, adapting themselves to and being shaped by new circumstances...

"Slametan", for instance or as Alan just said in the previous post on "bersih desa" ritual, may be it could be explain a little bit -- why in the past Javanese used to give "offering" to the mother nature...

"Slametan" -- according to Mulder -- is a core ritual to sustain, maintain, or promote order. A communal religious meal in which neighbours plus some relatives and friends participate. Slametan demonstrate the desire to be safe in an unruly world...

GANJAWULUNG
ganjawulung is offline   Reply With Quote