Thread: Tegha
View Single Post
Old 23rd December 2006, 02:00 PM   #14
Bill M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jens Nordlunde
Ian once found and bought a manuscript written by Rawson, and was kind enough to put it on the net for others to read. Some of the pages seem to be missing, as some of the page references can’t be found, but here is what he writes about the tegha.

The term Tegha is, strictly speaking, the common Arabic word for the blade of a sword, but here, following Egerton, it is to designate a sword resembling the Tulwar, the blade of which has an exceptionally deep backward curve. There are two forms of Tegha; one is Islamic for discussion of which see p. 29 (missing), and the other Hindo, for which see p. 72 (missing).
Later he writes.
Nimcha or Tegha or Goliah. Small light sword slightly curved, made of hard waved steel (pigeons eye); plain handle, Hindostan 1780. Boorhampore. Taken at Seringapatan.

It is a bit confusing that he writes ‘Small light sword slightly curved’. But the one Egerton mentions #399 has a blade width of about 4.5 cm – it is shown in fig. 24.

The Tegha on the picture is from Leth, André: Islamic Arms and Armour from private Danish Collections. Davids Samling. Copenhagen 1982. No 174, page 208 and 209. Weight 3.2 kg without scabbard, length scabbard incl. 101 cm, and width of blade at the base 8.3 cm.

Hi Jens and all,

First of all let me say how much I am enjoying this thread! I am going through old reference books in my library that I haven't looked at for far too long. (Also realizing I really need to do some organizing), and I am finding some fascinating, though unrelated information. Especially in Pant's books. He has one on indian elephant armour .... but let's get back to the tegha.

Ian sent me a hard copy of the work Jens mentions, but I can't find it right now. Perhaps Ian has the "missing pages?" This would be very helpful.

Ian?

It appears to me that there were plain and functional versions shown by Jens above. It also seems that there were heaviliy adorned sacrifical swords that were just as valid.

Rajput nobles were particulalry fond of very ornate weapons.

Here is a tegha from E. Jaiwant Paul's "Arms and Armour, Traditional Weapons of India," where he states

"Sacrificial sword, Rajput, late 17th century A.D., National MUseum, The broad blade is engraved with figures of gods and goddesses, . . . . The sword was used to sacrifice buffaloes during the festival of Dussehra."
Attached Images

Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote