View Single Post
Old 1st July 2019, 12:19 AM   #4
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Lubojacky
This was used by Galla from Wollo, probably Azebo Galla people. Not Afar. I would not call it neither shotel, nor gile. It is genuine, more rare than normal gile or shotel. From my point of view it is antique. (Antique in Africa of course does not mean 15th century ..., But this could be used ca 70 years ago.)
Thanks very much Martin, that is an excellent description, and I admire your knowledge of the weaponry of Africa! Very good point on the antique classification on these weapons, as they are very much in use as they have been for many generations if not centuries.
It is interesting that the Wollo province of Ethiopia is geographically in regions largely inhabited by the Afar, and the Danakil regions are contiguous to Wollo.
Only someone with your expertise in the ethnography of these regions could specify the unique separation of this weapon as Galla as you have noted.

It is pretty confusing looking at the volatility and dynamics of the geography and tribal integrations of these regions!

Last edited by Jim McDougall; 1st July 2019 at 12:35 AM.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote