View Single Post
Old 14th November 2016, 09:08 AM   #11
cornelistromp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
Jasper,
It does seem according to what I have in notes that many Walloons indeed had Solingen blades, but were assembled in Koln. The crowned triple 'X' is the Amsterdam city control mark and perhaps some of the blades produced might have included that stamp if specifically for that chamber (of the 6) in Holland.
This is compellingly in accord with the running wolf mark on the blade, however I am curious on the larger number of blades which were produced in Solingen using the spurious SAHAGUM name. It seems that these typically were destined northward, and in some cases seemed to suggest almost a 'brand' in the manner that ANDREA FERARA blades were destined for the Scots.
I have seen noted that the distinctive four petal 'kleeblatt' is characteristically on the quillon on virtually all Dutch Walloons.

I am wondering if this four petal stamp is indeed on all, if not most Dutch Walloons, and would this convention have been placed at assembly in Koln along with the stamp or mark of the intended chamber to which the sword was destined?

If Solingen smiths did go to Holland, where might they have worked? or is their departure in the groups of smiths leaving Solingen not accurate?

I appreciate your help on these questions as it helps update and correct my notes, which are admittedly often a mess.
Hi Jim,

JP Puype dedicates the manufacture of this epee wallone to Solingen,see Attachement, Köln is very interesting, do you also have support for this.

all dutch epee wallones have the four petalled flower and the Amsterdam mark. other marks on this dutch type are not known to me
one exception is known to me, an epee Wallone ex Visser collection with Toledo TO mark, a running wolf and 1414 inscription, maybe the blade is a replacment blade.

I have no record of solingen blacksmith who went to the Netherlands, I know a few who went to spain. (a much better climate )

but... there was a lively arms trade between Amsterdam, solingen and Passau.

best,
Jasper
Attached Images

Last edited by cornelistromp; 14th November 2016 at 11:28 AM.
cornelistromp is offline   Reply With Quote