View Single Post
Old 6th November 2018, 01:19 PM   #11
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Hi xanterix:

Thanks for raising these interesting additional questions. I don't know what the function(s) of the braided strips may have been in each case, but it seems that they could have served several purposes, including the following.
1. You mentioned earlier that these might have some function in retaining the ferrule (punto) on the hilt and stabilizing the attachment of the hilt to the tang. I believe I have seen examples where that is the case, especially on 20th C bangkung from Palawan and on 20th C. swords from the Lake Lanao region. That may also be true for Basilan/Zamboanga weapons of the same era, but I've seen fewer of those and don't have a clear sense of what is happening there.

2. Adding thickness or a roughened texture to facilitate gripping the handle. I think this is a very important function of these strips on the barung intended primarily for use rather than show. Blood on a grip turns into a slippery mess very quickly, and that could be a fatal problem in a fight. Sweat has the same effect. I have found the strips made of hemp or waxed cord to be good grip enhancers and to protect somewhat against the effects of sweat making the handle slippery. Strips made of braided metal wire, on the other hand, make for a very uncomfortable grip IMHO and I have cut my hand on several occasions trying to use barung with these style of hilts. I now wear a glove when testing barung with wire strips on the hilt.

3. As a decorative element. Especially on higher end barung with silver punto, a decorative function for the braided silver strips seems likely. Of course these weapons with silver adornment are still very functional, but precious metals usually indicate someone of importance who may have others who can do the fighting for him.
I've looked back through my collection of barung and found that nearly all of those for which I feel comfortable to attribute a 19th C. origin do not have these strips—those that do are higher end pieces with silver wire strips. It is possible that some strips on other old barung got lost over time. The hemp and waxed cotton strips show up on what I think are very late 19th C or 20th C pieces, but I don't discern any real difference in the number of strips over time.

My sample size is not huge (about 25–30 barung of various ages), and dating them is not an exact science, however I offer my observations at face value and without wishing to over-generalize.

Regards,

Ian
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote