View Single Post
Old 5th November 2018, 04:18 PM   #10
xasterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian
David,

I think the names of various parts of the blade and hilt of barung are interesting discussion points, and thanks again for those sites you found and linked above. It's easy to get into the names, however, and forget the original question that was asked. My comment was directed to what might happen here rather than what had been said already. Naming discussions have proceeded sometimes to the point of sidetracking other threads. I didn't want that to happen to our new member xanterix who is asking for opinions about barung hilts.

Ian
Thanks very much for the inputs, Ian and David! Actually I was curious because I've recently handled a Yakan barung made in Basilan as well as a Lubian barung made in Zamboanga [pics attached for reference; the Lubian is the one with the fancier hilt and shell triangles]. I compared their budbud to the 'feel' of migueldiaz / sir Lorenz Lasco's antique barung [pic also attached for reference], and I've come to the conclusion that the modern barungs are have much less budbud rings than the antiques. The antiques had more than the customary three rings; there were also thick portions wherein the budbud seemed to have been reinforced or thickened. This drives me to the following follow-up questions:

1. Does more-than-usual budbud on an antique blade mean that it is more likely to have been used in actual battle? While I have only used barungs for training (I'm a student of Mindanao silat with focus on Moro weaponry) and backyard cutting, I've noticed that the antiques- with their prolific amount of budbud- provide better grip, better 'feel', and I daresay even better handling balance, as compared to the modern ones which, even though they may be lighter, are more prone to grip slippage. I believe antique barungs with prolific budbud means that they were meant / most likely used in battle, as compared to other barungs that have just the usual three stripes.

2. Did the presence of budbud on Moro weapons influence the amount of cloth / grip enhancers of weaponry from Visayas? Of particular interest is the Pulahanes talibong's rattan weaving (this is also reflected in modern pinuti) that's strategically located on the upper half of the grip (or that's what I think, since that's its orientation on my antique). I'm attaching a picture of my talibong for reference.

3. Could budbud have been used to compensate for a hilt that was too small for a particular wielder? Budbud effectively increases the surface area of a hilt, helping the wielder acquire a snug fit, especially if the wielder's hands are larger than usual.
Attached Images

xasterix is offline   Reply With Quote