View Single Post
Old 19th November 2023, 09:23 PM   #3
M ELEY

Hello Jim. I got my copy of this journal and I'm completely blown away! This always was one of your lifetime interests and you really batted it out of the park. Your summation of Spanish colonial weapons is more thorough than most sources, many of them included in this study along with your own research. I particularly like how you incorporate the evolution of the 'espada' from its early form up until the late 19th century. I also was impressed with the examples from your personal collection presented to puncuate your facts (I saw our fellow Forumite, Lee, leant some of his excellent examples as well).

I have always felt that these Spanish colonial types might have been used at sea, as you point out succintly. That example from the Atocha wreck is impressive. These short chopping swords do closely resemble the hangers and cutlasses of yore. This article is indeed a crowning achievement to your life's work. Now if you decide to write a paper or book on pirates weapons, I know this guy who's got some examples...
M ELEY is offline   Reply With Quote