View Single Post
Old 10th January 2016, 07:52 PM   #33
Pukka Bundook

While I can't add anything off the top of my head about Indian Preferring foreign blades, I can say from a little experience that some of the lower quality (but old) Native blades are a bit shaky in quality, with the 'hot shuts' and the forging flaws and such, and I think I would like at least three at my disposal if going in to battle.

If I had time to re-read "Sahib", I am sure I would find reference to some Indian units preferring English blades.
It is hazy, but believe that they liked very much the Mole (British) blades, but re-hilted them in their native fashion, even though Mole supplied them with a 'tulwar' type hilt.

Please do not quote me on this, I will try and find it.

If we take the Pata sword, they are very often fitted with European blades.
This, as Jim has mentioned, does not mean they Did prefer such blades, but the evidence is powerful that such was the case, and for two reasons;
These weapons are very often of high quality, so a Good blade would be chosen, Price would not dictate an inferior blade in such cases,
and 2,
The Pata was issued to the most skillful swordsmen, most highly trained.
One would not imagine training men to such high standards then giving them poor quality arms with which to go into battle, Especially as the rulers body-guard often carried these!
"Cheaping out" on bodyguard equipment never seems to have caught on, for some reason!

Jim, if involved in a thread, I always read all the posts, inc yours!!! :-)

Best ,

Richard.
Pukka Bundook is offline   Reply With Quote