Thread: Omani Sayf/Saif
View Single Post
Old 7th November 2022, 01:45 AM   #27
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVV View Post
I guess we have hijacked Jerseyman's thread, for which I apologize. Hopefully through the discussion he understands now that he has a real sword, and not a sword like dancing implement.

Colin, thank for the pictures. Interesting to see both a Zanzibari nimcha with an ivory hilt and a conical hilted saif in the display. Hard to tell how these ended up in the museum, but the most likely explanation would be that they were taken as trophies during the conflict between the Congo Free State and the Congo Arabs.

Actually I think the discussion has covered the most salient part of acquiring a sword of unique form, which is where are these from, how were they used and who used them.
The discussion has been an attempt to address that and incredible as it may seem, there are variations in the examples of this hilt form which are genuinely intended as sound 'wearing' swords (like this one in OP) and mounted with trade blades as with this Solingen example.....and there are less 'sound' examples which are used in performances. I have tried to describe these in a number of references.

These conical hilted swords, worn in Zanzibar by 'Arab gentlemen' as described by Burton (1884, Demmin, 1877) became popular in Oman (Muscat) as well. They were clearly worn by Tipu Tip and his slaving factors from 1870s-80s in regions of the Eastern Congo (now Uganda) and into Zanzibar, which explains how these were acquired from these regions. Whether they were from the conflicts mentioned is unclear, but it is clear these were forms present from the Tipu Tip activities as well.

I am not sure how discussions which pertain to this 'type' of sword and its history related to places these were used, how they were used, those who used them, and variant forms attributed to them, is 'hijacking' a thread, so unsure of why apologies are necessary.

Your additions from the Peers reference were most pertinent, and of course did refer to 'long swords'. We can presume they were the same conical hilt types worn by the Arab gentlemen, but in the reference I added from Fraser and Wellstead, these were not in battle, but clearly demonstrations and the wrist action to vibrate the blade described.

Its been a good thread and good discussion, and held to objectivity as far as I can see, so I hope Jerseyman has found it as informative as I have. I own one of these as well (in my earlier post), and am glad to know its history, even if it is likely not a 'warriors weapon' as I had thought when I acquired it over 30 years ago. Its ethnographic heritage its what is important.

I think in rereading my post initially responding to the OP, my wording was unclear. What I had intended was to say that while this example appears to be the form with trade blade typically worn by Omani gentlemen, in Zanzibar and Muscat, and was apparently with them as they traveled into the African interior. .....however there were 'lighter' versions used in key ceremonial events in a sword dance.
Still, this has been a great discussion with excellent input, my regrets for my wording in that early post.

Last edited by Jim McDougall; 7th November 2022 at 05:27 AM.
Jim McDougall is online now   Reply With Quote