Thread: Omani Sayf/Saif
View Single Post
Old 5th November 2022, 04:42 PM   #22
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

I looked in Elgood (1994 op. cit.) and found this, which seems to support the use of broadswords by the Omani's, but the hilt style is not noted:

"...James Fraser visited the Omani garrison at Ormuz in 1821 and described how these soldiers of the Imam entirely resembled the Arabs at Muscat. Of their arms he wrote:
The broadsword and target, their chief arms, were interesting, as bearing a strong resemblance to those borne by the Scots Highlanders; but their sword is edged on both sides. A few of these weapons are made at Yemen,but the greater part are procured from Egypt, whither they are brought from different parts of the Meditteranean. Many can be seen with the Solingen mark, and not a few with that of Andrea Ferrara, one of which I endeavored to purchase but could not prevail on the owner to part with it. These swords are sharp and thin, and previous to making use of them in an attack, they make them quiver and ring in the hand with a jerk, while held in an upright position, and then charge with loud shots".

I am curious about this event, and wonder if this was perhaps a diplomatic 'performance' for Fraser's visit, and the 'attack' was simply same.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote