Thread: Omani Sayf/Saif
View Single Post
Old 2nd November 2022, 04:31 AM   #13
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Teodor, I have not seen the reference you added here, but it would seem you have proven there definitely was potential for these to be used. The note of 'long swords' seems telling, as these are the only swords that could have been meant.
These swords which were assembled by makers for these Omani notables as I have mentioned did use many European blades which were of course substantial and suitable for combative use.
It is the examples with lighter, flexible blades produced for the traditional ceremonies which included sword dances which were not used in any sort of combat purposes as far as I have understood.

As has been shown, the guardless hilt does not disqualify the examples of conical hilt broadswords with worthy blades. The Abbasid type examples of Omani sword were not involved in the activities in the interior of Africa, though they were also known in some cases as commemorative dress swords for prominent figures I think .

I think this adds some important perspective on this topic, thank you!
In accord with you on reading all these accounts but its great we can share those we have consulted, what you added here is most helpful.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote