View Single Post
Old 25th June 2012, 09:05 AM   #19
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by archer
Hi, Thank you all for for your knowledge and comments I think your rhino horn comments were toward the Khanjar. The Sabik hilt may have me fooled, so I'll ask again, the only positive sign missing is well defined orange rind at the pommel. Ibrahiim, I can't get the picture of the spotted cow with a missing horn out of my mind. Is Habaabi the name for the links that attach to the belt? Thanks, Steve

Salaams archer ~ #1 picture 2 shows the cowhorn seen on the hilt of the Habaabi dagger that I would imagine is called a Jambia in that region since it is previously Yemen and now part of Saudia. Habaabi is a regional centre ... Its the name of the town. This ought not to be confused with any thoughts linking it to either a tribe or mixing it with Wahabi( A religious grouping) or Hudaudi (and which gives its name to another style The Hudaudi Jambia) which is another place not far from Habaabi. At one time I had the whole lot muddled!!

I have considered the unusual design of the Habaabi as being completely unlike any other Yemeni weapon but very very similar in most ways to the Royal Omani thus I have it lined up as an extension of that design via bouyant trade links with Zanzibar and Oman in the mid 19th C.(when it was invented by Sheherezad a wife of Said Sultan the Ruler of Oman) probably by seatrade via Jazan the main port of the region.

Rhino Horn. As I see it the rhino horn is genuine because of the translucent effect with the torchlight and the orangepeel syndrome /spaghetti end. As Spiral was saying even a redhot pin test may not be conclusive as all horn has the scent of burning hair when tested and the best test may be the visual one after Lews description of Spaghetti.

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote