Thread: why sabre ?
View Single Post
Old 24th March 2005, 09:07 PM   #5
wolviex

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel
during WWII, the Poles were still attacking German tanks with their 1921 pattern (also curved).
Dear Ariel, unfortunately just what you have wrote above is just a historical mistake, still repeating by worlds historians (by some Polish also). Polish soldiers attacking German tanks with lances and sabres is just an effect of Nazist's propaganda. And the history is: in the september 1939 the 18. Pomorski Uhlans Regiment attacked at Krojatany German infantry. They charged with sabres of course on foot soldiers. Unfortunately for them infantry was covered by tanks and armour vehicles which came out of forest and break the Polish attack. Germans during the attack made the film, and the Italian journalist (present on place) made a story about Polish, backward, old-fashioned army, and stupid soldiers thinking that tanks are made of cardboard. Then it was used by soviets and nomen omen by Polish allies to justify some political movements. Today it's sometimes quote as a symbol of Polish bravery, but anyway in Poland it's somehow sound negatively (I mean Polish historians, average peoples doesn't know anything or very little about history, thought ).

Sorry for this digression, but as a historian it is my duty to clear some things, no matter I'm Polish or not

Best regards!
wolviex is offline   Reply With Quote