View Single Post
Old 28th August 2014, 04:50 PM   #11
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian
Kumusta Tito:

Nice scores Detlef. The first two look like typical early 20th C talibon/garab but the horn-hilted one seems unusual in several ways.

First, the horn hilt is very uncommon (I don't recall another example--I've seen only wooden hilts). Second, the carved "figure" at the end of the hilt is of a form that I've not seen on another talibon or other Visayan weapons--it looks perhaps Indonesian to me, while the "curly hair" reminds me of the creature on the hilt of a Singhalese kastane. Third, I'm having trouble seeing a beveled edge on this one--it could be V-ground, which I have not seen on talibon/garab before. Fourth, the S-shape to the blade is not as pronounced as most talibon--the belly is a little more forward than most (compared with your other two, for example), while the narrowing at forte is a little less pronounced than most talibon. Lastly, the blade looks thin at the forte in one of the pictures and this would be very unusual for a talibon which is typically quite "chunky" in that area.

In favor of this being a talibon is the typical wooden sheath that is characteristically eastern Visayan in construction and style.

So, I think the horn-hilted one is not your typical talibon, perhaps a knife from elsewhere in Visayan dress. Examination in hand will make it apparent to you whether this is a typical talibon, and better pictures would decide the issue for us.

Congrats again on three good scores.

Ian.

Kumusta Ian,

you are correct, I am with you, never before (when I remember correct) I have seen a talibon with a monster hilt but think that I have seen a few with horn hilts. The blade is beveled, I've asked the seller and he confirmed that one side is flat and the other beveled. But frankly said I haven't asked him how thick the blade is at the forte, we will see when it is arrived at the destination.
Thank you for your good observations and thoughts!

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote