View Single Post
Old 28th January 2007, 05:24 PM   #3
John Linker

Khairete,

Efxaristo yia tin apantisi.

I am really amazed to hear of other traditional bladesmiths in Crete as I have spent much time there and am not aware of any others than Apostolis. Years ago there were 7 left in Chania, but as I'm sure you know, of those 7 Apostolis is sadly the only one still living.

I would be very happy to hear of other smiths though as the thought of the Cretan Dagger disappearing is a very sad thought indeed. I am curious though as to who else you think qualifies as a traditional Cretan Bladesmith. There is one very popular smith in Heraklion but there are many who would not count him as a traditional smith.

I have also heard of a Mr. Kostis Sapounakis in Malia, though when I was last in Crete (about one month ago) I heard that he was no longer making knives.

If you know of any others then please do tell me and I will try and get their knives on my website.

I am aware that you are a collector of Cretan knives Yiannis, whereabouts in Greece are you? and would you be interested in doing a review of some of Apostolis' knives?

Me Ektimisi,
John
John Linker is offline   Reply With Quote