View Single Post
Old 17th October 2012, 04:01 AM   #62
Prasanna Weerakkody

It is difficult to locate the earliest records of the true Kasthana Swords. but my personal belief is that it is earlier than presumed. I am including an image of a Kasthana presented by Prince Tikiri leading the Sinhala army (at age 16); Who Later became King Rajasinghe I to the Arachchi of the Korathota “Angam” fighters. The Korathota warriors mounted a flanking attack on the Portuguese in the major battle in the Fields of Mulleriyawela in 1559. This Battle was a decisive Battle with one of the worst defeats to the Portuguese with near annihilation of its troops. The Sword still survives in the Family as a heirloom. and if this reference is accepted this will push the earliest record of the Kasthana to mid 16th Century. There are other similar records as well. As I mentioned before there is a proper Kasthana sword in the Colombo Museum that is believed to be of King Buwanekabahu I of Yapahuwa Kingdom which predates the Kotte and Sithawaka Kingdoms. (Though I am not convinced of the authenticity of this piece based on the portrayal of design elements which point to a later date.)

And Thank you Balushi for including the summery of my Presentation to the workshop on the “Portuguese Encounter” held in 2005.

Best regards.
Attached Images

Prasanna Weerakkody is offline   Reply With Quote