View Single Post
Old 7th May 2013, 07:14 PM   #10
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrystal Dawn
I have been reading this thread with great interest and in fact, it is the first that has given me any information at all.. so thank you!

My Father just recently acquired a Jambiya, although in doing some research on it for him, I believe it is a Thuma. 1930's or somewhere in there. It does not have the hard J shape, but on the other hand, the scabbard is not made entirely of silver. It looks to be a leather backing of some sort.

It came with the brocade belt and two prayer amulets attached to it.. I am researching those currently..

As I stated, we have just recently came into this, so the markings on the amulets I have just read about and will check them when I again have access to this.

My question though is on the Thuma. Are there certain styles for certain tribal areas? How do you tell what kind of horn the handle is made from. Is it all in the patina? How do you tell what kind of silver is used without destroying the item?

Any further information would be greatly appreciated..

It is a beautiful piece. We just want to know what we have.

Thank you!
Salaams Chrystal Dawn, Welcome to the Forum. Indeed you have chosen from library an expert piece of writing by Michael Blalock. Can you post a picture please so that we can see the Thuma and belt? There is a wealth of information if you use the Search function above. There are great debates on what the hilts are made from and of course the important thing is the blade. In the Yemen history has provided us with a peculiar mixture of craftsman styles through the very ornate and highly expert Jewish silver and goldsmiths now dwindling in numbers and since 1948 many have left. It is therefor an interesting corner of modern history steeped in political strife, war and a strange charm.. almost biblical ... all of its own. I am sure you will have great fun searching out what you need, meanwhile, please try to post some pictures.

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote