View Single Post
Old 11th July 2011, 09:43 PM   #13
VVV

Thanks all for your comments.
It doesn't seem like there is another one like it in other regions based on the answers?
Here are my comments on your feedback and ideas:
For me - with a blade training in Visayan FMA (Pekiti-Tirsia), Sundanese and Maduranese IMA (Kuntao Silat de Thouars) - it doesn't restrict my wrist movements at all. When I do long range striking and twirling movements (FMA) I just have a regular grip (not really using the advantage of the finger rest). When doing broken strikes without thinking about it I just positioned my thumb along the back of the blade for more comfort. If it would have had a better point it would feel natural to alternate thrusts and strikes in bridging short circular combinations when in this range. When I compare it to resembling klewang I feel that its strength is in mid-range fighting with broken strikes. This is contrary to Pepperskull's and Jose's ideas but they do not have the advantage like me to try it out live, feel the balance etc. Probably you would change your mind about this if you actually had the blade in your hands.
I don't understand why it would hinder the second hand?
The only style of fighting that doesn't feel good with this protrusion is the chopping, jerking motion used in the Sundanese sugarcane fighting that Uncle Bill teaches (in case any of you have seen his characteristic stick fighting?).
Fearn, I don't get this idea of missing fingers? Unless you miss your index finger and use it as a guard. It's not very balanced or comfortable in only a pinch grip (thumb + index finger). There are no signs of deep cuts or scars on the hook or blade. Based on the tip I don't think that it was supposed to only be used as a tool, but I don't have much farming experience...
Interesting idea with the siku-siku parry function, Maurice. But you really have to have extremely small hands to be able to grip it behind the protrusion. Also it is not balanced when holding it in that grip.

Michael
VVV is offline   Reply With Quote