View Single Post
Old 11th July 2011, 03:42 AM   #8
ThePepperSkull

When comparing FMA to Indonesian silat, many forms and movements are similar (I see many similarities in the footwork. Though the noticable difference is the european influence in FMA footwork. Triangle movements are a major similarity between FMA and Indonesian Silat however), but as a practitioner of both I would say a major difference would be movement of the blade in-hand.

In this respect I think Jose is correct. Those of us who practice FMA knows that it involves a lot of rapid movements and slashes involving deceptive redirections in order to 'fake-out' your opponent. When the checking hand is involved, there is more of a necessity to control and manipulate the swing of the bladed hand as well in order to avoid cutting one's own hand. In these aspects, the trigger-like guard may hinder or provide discomfort to the practitioner who likes to use such movements.

As a practitioner of Mande Muda Silat, however, I would say that this would be an acceptable design feaure in terms of movement, which in general involves 'larger' and more sweeping slashes in comparison to filipino martial arts.
ThePepperSkull is offline   Reply With Quote